Saturday, February 20, 2010

American School Family

Most people have friends, have family and have coworkers. All three of these groups are separate and very rarely do they merge except in the case of some sort of social event or when a coworker happens to break the barrier and earn friend status. This is not really the case at the American School, at least among most of the international staff.

There are very few people around here who completely understand the situation in which we live: far far away from family, in a completely different culture, distinct ways of living, different values, etc. There are also many reasons why we've all arrived here: getting away from home, adventure, learning a language, discovering new things about the world and ourselves, etc.

The great thing about the girls I call my friends here is that they are versatile, supportive and can be just what you need when you need it. They know when you need a drinking buddy. They know when you need mom advice. They know when you need a psycho-therapist who speaks your language. They know when you need a party planner. They know when you need a sister. They know when you need a translator. And they can be all of these things on the same day, if need be.

This week, one of my good friends who has served as my cooperating teacher, my coworker, my neighbor and my friend was here visiting with her family. She has moved on from the AS, but the bond that we have hasn't changed. She can empathize in a way that others who haven't lived our life just can't. I miss having her around, but it's so great when we all get to reunite. We were able to spend a lot of time together since I didn't have to work. We got to catch up and share pregnancy stories since we're both expecting for the same week. We got to see other friends and get all the kids together to play. It makes me happy to know that even though we all might be scattered across the North American continent, we still have a bond and a friendship that is strong.

I kind of feel a certain responsibility to the other international teachers now that I'm going on 4 years of being here. I've been around the block a few times and even though I don't know everything, I know the ropes pretty well. I know enough about myself, my culture, and this culture that I can commiserate with those who are feeling low, and help them see the upside and promise them that things get better. I can celebrate with those who are feeling good, share in their joy and remember the satisfaction of when you finally feel content with life here.

So, cheers to the American School Family- past and present. You have all changed and influenced my life in some way and for that I am truly thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment