Sunday, October 10, 2010

Wait, what?

Wait, what? This is an all too common phrase that is most often accompanied by a raised eyebrow and confused face and it can most likely be seen on me when trying to decipher my students' work. Once I figure out what the child is trying to say, the confused usually turns into a smiley laughing face.



Want some examples? I though you would.



We are dead for food.

Translation: We were dying of hunger.



It was a week very heaviest.

Translation: It was a very tiring week.



The convencion durate to one week.

Translation: The convention lasted one week.



The sending is the aple richen large that whit spon and spar centing cente.

1st Response: WTF? What is this?

2nd Response: (Just hit me in this moment 3 weeks after reading the work) AAhh, she has tried (big emphasis on the tried) to copy from the book to answer the question: What is the setting?

Translation: The setting is the castle kitchen, large pots with spoons are placed center stage.



Define Shellfish (not my student but definitely share-worthy)

Answer: Shellfish is when you only care about yourself.



Use Majesty in a sentence.

I say to the teacher Majesty because I want more recess.

Response: Nice try.



Use porridge in a sentence.

The people want porridge.

Response: Give the people what they want, I say. Their demands aren't outrageous.



Use peasant in a sentence.

This school have a peasant to do the school nice.

Response: Oh, is that what we're calling janitors and gardeners now?


By far, best sentence I have read in all of my five years of teaching.
Drum Roll, PLEASE!

Use dungeon in a sentence.

This person are bad they kill chickens and are in the dungeon.

Response: After I stopped laughing, read it again, laughed again and stopped again, I thought "Chicken Killer? Really? That's what you have to do to get sent to the dungeon?"

PS Yes, we read a story about a king, so, no, these vocabulary words aren't weird.

2 comments:

  1. It's like First Grade speak!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Use porridge in a sentence.

    The people want porridge.

    Response: Give the people what they want, I say. Their demands aren't outrageous."

    This one cracked me up... who is this kid? He´s actually pretty advanced I´d say... especially after his copycat classmate made up her own language... too funny, Shannon

    ReplyDelete