Saturday, October 17, 2009

Driving...me crazy sometimes.

Driving in Mexico. Many will never have (or take) the opportunity to drive in this lovely country I call my home. The first months I was in a constant state of almost heart attack while behind the wheel. Now, my skin has been toughened and I can take on the biggest bus and the wildest taxi driver. There are some things you can't explain about it until you do it for yourself. In this post, I'll at least try to let you in on a few of the idiosyncracies of driving here.

1. I've gotten the question often enough, "Can you do that?" To which the only plausible answer is, "It looks like I already did."
2. Signs, speed limits, one-way streets, stoplights, brake lights, etc can be considered as suggestions, not requirements. Free right turns do not exist.
3. Lanes are also a suggestion. When in doubt, ask yourself this, "Do I fit?" If the answer is yes, it's a lane. If the answer is no, it's probably still a lane.
4. Busses will race and cut you off and start moving while you're getting on and off, just so that they can get to one stop and sit (while blocking traffic) for 10 minutes and drink a coke.
5. Speaking of busses, bus routes are also suggestions. Don't be surprised if your normal route one day ends up on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, the driver probably forgot something at home.
6. There is a special dance that happens at the changing of a stop light. Since both running the red and jumping the green are acceptable, the cars magically drift through the intersection in slow-motion rivalling even the greatest choreographed ballet.
7. There's no such thing as a close call, you either hit or you don't.

Now that you know some general rules, I'll let you in on a few of my own secrets that just make me sense of the madness and make my own enjoyable moments.

1. Sometimes I drive down the middle of what I know is supposed to be one lane in each direction street just because I get sick of rule #3.
2. I never let cars in that don't use turn signals.
3. I use my horn; it's so satisfying.
4. I shake my head at people; It's even better when they're looking at me.

So, next time you're stuck in traffic or get cut-off. Thank God you're not driving in Mexico...and use your horn.

3 comments:

  1. As an addendum to #3 which my cousin showed us last time we were down there...when stuck behind the colorful overcroweded bus or the guy going only 10 over the "speed limit" feel free to drive straight down the middle of the road for a mile or two to make sure no traffic's coming before you swerve over and pass him :) Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. we went to DF this weekend - it was fuuuun! they are worse drivers, but dont use their horn... it was a welcomed vacation from the infamous poblano horn!
    2. no mention of the shave and a haircut eff your mother horn? i loooooove that hahah and throwing my hands up at stupid people - although i once did that to miss ceci in traffic by mistake, lol

    ReplyDelete