Wednesday, October 14, 2009

IMSS

As the US fights over healthcare, I spent my afternoon at the IMSS. That's Mexico's social security, or nationalized healthcare. It applys to all children and any person with a job. Through the IMSS you get paid sick leave, and in my case they will be paying my salary for the six weeks before and the six weeks after Baby Alvarez is born.

I must admit that most US citizens wouldn't accept for one second the quality of service, supplies, hospitals and doctor's offices. It's honestly pretty gross. The white sheets are graying. The walls look like they haven't been painted in years. The nurses don't use gloves when they give you a shot...You get the picture. On the other hand, I think to myself while I'm there, "If a third-world country like Mexico can provide nationalized healthcare, why is it so difficult for the US?" They can make this, albeit low quality, system work AND the senators, deputies, presidents, government offices, etc are still taking home huge chunks of tax pesos. I'm by no means an expert or really even that informed about the healthcare struggle in the US, but I like to have opinions any way.

On another, related, note, most people I know have horror stories about going to the IMSS. I must have an angel at the IMSS because so far, knock on wood, I've had no problems. I made changes to my schedule without standing in line, got an appointment (I need 5 to get maternity leave) within a week of when I asked, and my doctor is normal and seems to be up-to-date in her medical knowledge (not always a guarantee). Hopefully it will continue that way!

1 comment:

  1. Well one of the huge struggles right now with the healthcare stuff is that congress hasn't read it, the president has admitted he doesn't know exactly what's in it, and it will pay for abortions, but some people are trying to cover that up. It's a bit of a mess.

    ReplyDelete