Saturday, February 25, 2012

Extreme Laundry: The "Your Dryer Can't Do This" Edition

Alternate title: When OCD and laundry collide.

We've talked about laundry.

We've talked about how it is one of those chores that has some sort of connection to Mother Nature.

We've talked about how I might become a dryer owner in 2012.

If I do, there will be one thing I miss. Only one. And, I'm really not that sure how much I'll miss it.

Laundry hanging in the Alvarez household (at least when it's me doing the laundry, which it probably is) is quite the undertaking.

I have a method that must be followed. It's because I'm a visionary, you see. I envision myself 4 hours later (or 24 depending on the weather) taking down and folding said clothing. Since laundry is an all day undertaking, there must be some way to make the process simpler.

Now, I'm not so sure I've made this simpler, but I have made the process interesting.

Enough introduction? I thought so.

When the laundry is finished washing, the hanging process is key. I hang all the clothes by type. Starting with PJs. I don't know why I start there, but I always do. I hang up all the PJs, first all the one pieces (btw, we're talking AV's clothes. Ramon and I don't wear footie pjs anymore.) Then all the separates (matched, duh.) Then come the pants- hung by one leg. I don't hang them by the waist because that's the thickest part and will stay wet longer. I don't hang both legs; that takes too much space. After come the onesies. Hang white onesies, then t-shirts, then long sleeves. Last come the socks. I match them from the start. The only break those little pairs get from each other is the free for all in the basin, then it's every one partnered up as it should be.

I know what you're thinking. "I knew she was strange, but, like, whoa, crazy pants. Sorry for her husband."

But, think about it. When it comes to folding, the organizing is already done for me. I don't have that disgusting bed or floor or couch piled high with clothes (don't lie, you've all been there and some of you are there right now and reading this instead of folding.) The laundry practically folds itself. That may or may not be a blatant lie, but, you've got to admit that the plan is pretty ingenious.

And that, my friends, is something that you never knew your dryer couldn't do. When, God willing, a dryer becomes a member of the family, I just hope AV is old enough to fold her own clothes. I mean, I hope I can sacrifice the OCD laundry hanger in me...

No comments:

Post a Comment