Monday, November 5, 2012

I need this.

Everyone's loving the thankful days of November. It's like the antithesis of Lent when everyone gives up facebook. Nope. In November, we blow everyone's feeds up with what we love and are grateful for.

Why then, does it make me want to gag each time I read them? I came to this realization today as I read the fifty-billionth thankful post (I'm that cool on the ol' fb). I'm like the grinch who stole Thanksgiving. Except for the fact that Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday both in the US and in Mexico.

It occurred on me that I might just need to get on board. Not because everyone is doing it, but because I need an attitude check. There has to be something wrong with a person who gets gaggy about thankfulness. There also has to be something wrong with a person who loves to write but hasn't done it since August.

So, it won't be on facebook, and I can't guarantee you it will happen daily. What I will challenge myself to do is give you 30 things for which I am thankful and don't make me want to gag. I can't promise you won't want to gag; that will depend on your own reflexes and tolerances.

Without further adieu, I give you the first five.

1. I am thankful for my job. To clarify, I do not always like my job. I am often overwhelmed and consistently feeling as though I am biting off more than I could ever possibly chew. But then I see kids like the kids I saw today in 6th grade speaking with such confidence and I know that whatever dent, however tiny and insignificant, that I will make, will be worth it.

2. I am thankful for my child. To clarify, I do not always like my child. I'm fairly certain she does not always like me. But, we need each other. She makes me realize how impatient and impossible I am through her own impatience and impossibility. We end up in tears together at least once a week, but it always ends by hugging it out and a big kiss. That makes it worth it.

3. I am thankful for my diet. To clarify, I do not like my diet. It has taken from me all that is holy and delicious- Coca-cola, bread and candy being the main three. It has also taken away over 3 kilos in 2 weeks. For those of you who think in pounds and kilos is gibberish, that's almost 7. Seven pounds. I don't need or want them back and I am happy they are gone and taking friends with them.

4. I am thankful for my husband. To clarify, I do not always like my husband. As with my child, I am certain that he does not always like me. He likes me least when I have not slept well. To his benefit, I don't like me much those days either. He works his booty off. He loves his daughter like crazy. And we  are both aware and inspired by the fact that we have made a commitment to each other for life.

5. I am thankful for my cleaning lady. It costs me less than 20 bucks a week and it means I never have to scrub my toilets or showers. To clarify, I am not against or above cleaning my own home. Sometimes I do it. But, guess what? I'm okay with not doing it. It doesn't make me less of a mom, less of a wife, less of a homemaker. It makes me a realist. And I'm okay with that.

More again soon. I hope you didn't gag.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I, too, gag at the thankful posts. Yours did not make me gag. And I'm SO glad you got a cleaning lady! I will forever regret not taking advantage of that when I lived in Cholula! Carlos and I fantasize about the day we might be able to afford one here... Happy November!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry; I was a little exclamation-point happy. (!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny that you posted this because i was just looking at fb thinking it is time to give it up until December 1st, for the exact same reason. Then felt the pang of guilt for being so cynical about others being thankful, what's wrong with me... Then i read this. It doesn't matter if we don't see each other or talk much, i know that even if we live thousands of miles apart, we are still those same sarcastic girls! Two peas in a pod

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I am copying you. I could always use an attitude adjustment. I think that the reason why all this thankfulness floating around can get annoying is because being thankful is a tricky thing. You want to come across as humbled and grateful and all everyone sees is you bragging that your husband just bought you 10 dozen roses.... Or maybe I'm just jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, don't feel guilty about the cleaning lady 'cause I have help too :) Every other week, baby. And I take my kids to the park while my house is getting clean and it's the most amazing thing ever. And while I like vacuuming, I realize I can't do it all and having a clean house makes a happy mom and a happy mom makes for a happy family. Boom.

    ReplyDelete