Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanks, Mexico

I have decided to dedicate the thankfulness for this week to Mexico. I am not always thankful for Mexico. In fact, I am often quite the opposite. So, here is me attempting to be reflective. We'll see how it goes.

17. Thankful to Mexico for giving me the opportunity to become an adult, a professional, a wife, and a mother. These are all accomplishments that I don't always do well, but I've also never done anywhere else. I was a college student in the US, that's like fake adulthood. It doesn't really count as being an adult until you're making all your own money, not raiding your parents' fridge and cupboards for groceries, and buying your own washing machine.

18. Thankful for Thanksgiving in Mexico. It is the one holiday that I can recreate here and it feels right. Every other holiday is off in some way, big or small. The only ever so slight (but horrific nonetheless) accommodation I have to make is the addition of a plate of jalapenos on the Thanksgiving table. It's awful and I make sure it's not near me, but other than that, everything is just right. I can't say the same for Christmas.

19. Thankful that on my drive to work I can pretty much guarantee some sort of strange thing. Like cows grazing in the median of the highway. A giant truck full of pigs. A volcanic eruption. Etc. These are all totally normal and acceptable and I'm thankful that they are. You're not going to see that in Seattle.

20. I'm grateful for our little family of pilgrims from all over the world who have decided to make Puebla or the American School (or some combination of the two) our home.

21. I'm thankful that I get to wear sunglasses every day of the year. That is not something I could ever do in Seattle. Thank you, Mexico.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment: