Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Think

If I have learned one thing this year, it is to question. The "Why" (or "for why" that I get from my little bilingual mexi-gringa of a three-year old) that makes me insane as a mother, is the same little word that makes growth happen in a school.

Why are we doing this? What is the purpose? How will it help us be better? What are you getting from this? Do your kids know what their doing and why?

This video from Sir Ken Robinson about divergent thinking has floated around Facebook and other media and was presented to us during our class today. I find it to be both inspiring and concerning.

Inspiring, because this is what we strive to achieve in our school each day. It is what we value. It is our objective. Students must learn how to solve problems in many different ways. Creative problem solving is where we get some of the best and most awe-inspiring innovations known to man. I mean, think about it, some guys sitting around drinking beers one afternoon must have thought, "Hey, what if we make telephones that you can walk around with?" Someone had to think a crazy thought to make that happen. And, although most of the general population considers that to be a pretty useful and nifty tool, I'm pretty certain more than a few people thought that was insane and completely impractical.

I find the Ken Robinson video concerning because if it is a true reflection of what is happening in our schools, we should be very scared for our future. I know that it is not the reflection of the teachers and students at my school. Do we wish the kids were a littler calmer, a little more obedient? Sure. That just makes life easier. But, if I have to decide between robot children who sit silently and think whatever they've been told to think or children who can't ask enough questions, have opinions, share ideas, think critically and genuinely want to live in a better world, then I choose the latter. Hands down.

No comments:

Post a Comment