Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Christmas, New Year and in between

This year was our first Christmas as the Alvarez Hickey family. Initially our goal was to spend the holiday in California with my grandparents since my grandfather has been fighting throat cancer since May and they weren't able to be at our wedding. Unfortunately for us, the cost of tickets(and then multiplying that price by 2) was just too much. Spending the holiday apart just wasn't an option I was willing to consider, so we decided that the best decision would be to stay in Puebla.

Ramon was given from Dec. 23rd-27th and from December 30th- January 2nd off. What a huge blessing since he usually works long hours with little to no rest/vacation. I enjoyed every minute with him, sleeping late, hanging out, and getting a new refrigerator! Getting to spend time together was definitely the best Christmas present.

Here in Mexico, Christmas Eve (Noche buena) is the big day to celebrate. We went over to his Aunt's house where the whole family gathered for dinner. First we rocked and sang to the baby Jesus welcoming him into our lives this Christmas. Then we had a feast, pork roast, pasta, apple salad, cod (bacalao), all the traditional dishes. We exchanged gifts, told stories, and laughed until late. Christmas morning was the hardest for me. When we finally woke up, Ramon asked me what I wanted for breakfast. I told him cinnamon rolls and immediately started crying. It was hard for me to spend Christmas away from my family. We went to mass on Christmas day and then went back to his aunt's house for leftovers. Everything is always better the second day!

Between Christmas and New Year I went for a whirlwind trip to Seattle. We had Christmas morning all over again (complete with cinnamon rolls) and spent the day together. This year we did a secret santa, which was the best idea ever. Not only did it lessen the stress of holiday shopping, but everyone seemed really happy with what they got. (Our secret Santas were AMAZING!!!!!) The next day, my sisters, mom and I went shopping crazy. We spent at least two hours at Babies R Us, then went on to Old Navy and Target. My friend Stephanie and her little girl Lucy joined us. It was great to have experienced moms around to give input. Ana Victoria definitely scored, big time. That night my friends came over for pizza. It was great to catch up with everyone, even if only for a little while. I returned to Mexico on the 30th, Ramon met me at the airport to help move the huge box containing the stroller and car seat, and the heavy suitcases full of loot.

New Year's Eve was at Ramon's aunts again and was similar to Christmas Eve. Eat, drink, laugh, repeat! The Parents' Association at the school gave us turkeys for Christmas this year, we enjoyed it thoroughly that night. At midnight, we had a toast, gave hugs all around and ate 12 grapes each for good luck in 2010.

Today is 3 Kings Day. Santa isn't the traditional gift giver here, though he and his reindeers have infiltrated quite successfully. The 3 magic kings come on the night of January 5th to leave presents for good boys and girls, just like they gave presents to Baby Jesus. Children send their letters attached to balloons or leave them in their shoes for the kings. Ana Victoria got a teddy bear and a Tigger "grow with me" toy. What a lucky girl, she's not even on the outside yet and she got the most presents of all!

Part of starting a new family is starting new family traditions, sharing eachother's family traditions, and combining them to create our own. It was a blessed, family and joy-filled holiday and I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see you named your 1st born after me - but maybe you didn't get the memo - my middle name is Colleen ;-)

    You are all in our prayers! Happy New year! I have tea almost every night. Lucky you ;-)

    ReplyDelete