Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My dirty little secret...

To all you treehugging, environmentally friendly people (like I claim to be), this post will possibly make you loathe my wastefulness. Sorry, but only a little bit.


I have to say that I 100% believe in saving and taking care of the planet. Well, maybe only 95%. I use biodegradable trash bags. I take my canvas bags to the grocery store (even my hand-me-down Captain Underpants bag). I recycle even though it means putting my recycling in the car and driving it to the recycle center. I believe in carpools, walking, and using energy saving light bulbs. I'm considering putting a brick in my toilet to use less water. I hang dry my clothes (let's be honest, I do this partly because I don't have a dryer...)


I don't believe in short, cold showers. I hate them. I'd rather be dirty.


The shower in our house takes a good minute to warm up...and I just let the water run. I know I'm supposed to put a bucket in my shower, but I don't want a bucket in my shower. About 2 minutes into the warm water, it gets lukewarm again. I could rush and get my showering done, but I don't. I stand there like an ice sculpture staring at the showerhead, willing it to get hot again. 2 or 3 minutes later it inevitably does and I go on showering. The problem is that now I'm cold. So, I stand there in the hot water until I thaw and then I continue.


I know it's wasteful. I know it's wrong. But, I do it. Every day...And I love it. Sorry Earth, let me go turn off another light.

No comments:

Post a Comment